ALERT

COVID-19 Update

LeCroy Dental has reopened with limited hours. Please call (205) 822-8161 for more details

4 Easy Ways to Improve Your Mouth Care Routine

You’ve probably heard since childhood the importance of keeping a daily dental hygiene routine. While it’s true, you should be brushing two times a day and flossing once a day, it’s not enough to keep your oral health in the best shape possible.

Here, we’re sharing four easy tips and tricks to help you upgrade your mouth care routine, so that you can keep your teeth in optimal shape between your 6-month cleaning appointments!

#1: Pay Attention to Your Flossing Technique

Flossing is a very important part of your mouth care routine, and one that gets easily skipped over. Your toothbrush is only able to reach 60% of your teeth’s surfaces, and flossing is the only way to remove plaque and debris from the other 40%. When done right, flossing can help you keep your mouth as clean and debris-free as possible. 

When you floss, make sure you move between each tooth in a c-shape to get hard-to-reach areas such as under the gums. 

#2: Use an Electric Toothbrush

An electric toothbrush is generally recommended by dentists more than traditional toothbrushes. With an electric toothbrush, users do not have to brush back and forth repetitively to scrape plaque off of their teeth. Instead, the toothbrush essentially does the work for you, by using tiny vibrations to rub off gunk.

If you’re someone who notices more plaque and calcium buildup in your mouth, it may be time to invest in an electric toothbrush. Some toothbrushes also include a built-in 2 minute timer to help keep you accountable.

#3: Rinse After Flossing

Of course it’s important to floss once a day, but after flossing, your job isn’t over! It’s recommended that patients floss before brushing their teeth so that they can then brush away any debris and bacteria that the flossing process loosens. 

If you choose to floss after brushing your teeth, make sure you rinse your mouth out with water to rid it of any leftover debris or bacteria. 

#4: Don’t Forget to Brush Your Tongue

Millions of bacteria set up camp on your tongue, and can contribute to bad breath and plaque buildup in your mouth. When you brush, make sure you gently brush your tongue as well, to remove bacteria. You can also rinse your mouth out with mouthwash to freshen your breath, and get rid of any bacteria you might have missed when brushing your teeth.

If you choose to incorporate mouthwash into your mouth care routine, make sure you choose one with fluoride for the added benefit of strengthening your teeth and protecting your mouth.
These tips and tricks are just a few ways you can elevate your dental hygiene routine and keep your mouth happy and healthy! For more questions, or to set up an appointment, contact LeCroy Dental today.